Reading Comprehension Practice
Reading in French is a great way to reinforce vocabulary
and grammar. Many beginner French students find reading
French to be quite difficult, so it is important to practice
with authentic materials like books and newspapers.
There are also a great deal of French reading resources
available on the internet. Explore some of the links
below to help you with your reading comprehension.
How to Practice Reading Comprehension
- French is an important language on the internet.
Check out the sites on my
- Find your favorite books in French and try reading
- Watch a familiar DVD, but use the French subtitles
and the English audio track.
- Set the menus and dialogue boxes on your computer to
French. You will hopefully understand some of it,
but your family probably won't!
- Check out the links below for some reading comp.
Reading Comprehension Tips
When completing reading comprehension questions, it will
be helpful to follow these tips:
- Use a highlighter. Skim the reading passage and
highlight words that you know and the cognates (words
that are similar in French and English. Chances are,
these are the words that will lead to your answer.
- After highlighting, read the passage carefully. Try
to put things into context and don't get flustered by
words you don't understand.
- Look at the questions and start thinking about
potential answers. Use common sense and use the French
that's been given to you to come up with your answer(s).
Links to Reading Comprehension practice